The author would like to point out that as he goes about criticising ignorance, poor understanding, bias, the objectification of women, ineffectiveness in British Government and the secular nature of modern society, he is in no way guilty of anything he accuses other people of. Honest.

Sunday 31 October 2010

Politics, American and British

I offer you this article, from the BBC on Jon Stewart's 'Restore Sanity' rally in Washington D.C, this blog post on the declining and aging membership of the Conservative Party and this question: what are political parties for nowadays?

2 comments:

  1. 'cos you've got to have some sort of fancy-dress theme for Humanities students' birthdays?


    I've personally never seen the appeal of paying to tie myself to a particular party. They're handy category to vote for, but I like to leave my options open depending on candidates and policy, particularly when within the parties themselves you can now get the full spectrum of beliefs (such as Red Ed v Nu Lab Dave).

    That, and I'm a tight-fisted student...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linesman,

    My thinking entirely. The thing is that there's a certain dichotomy between the parliamentary structure of political parties and their extra-parliamentary structure. Post-World War I, British politics developed a system by which political parties represented certain societal groupings. It seems to me that we've now broken away from that, but the question is to what end. The problem with the increasing professionalisation of politics, as demonstrated to varying extents on both sides of the Atlantic, is the risk of it being politics for politics sake.

    ReplyDelete