The author would like to point out that as he goes about criticising ignorance, poor understanding, bias, the objectification of women, ineffectiveness in British Government and the secular nature of modern society, he is in no way guilty of anything he accuses other people of. Honest.

Friday 27 August 2010

A note on faith

If you read this blog, you're going to come to the conclusion that I'm principally blogging about two things: my Christian faith and my love and practice of modern British History. Mainly because I am. 

I'm inclined to phrase both in 'intellectual' terms, as to be honest it is the language where I feel most comfortable. I love ideas and their intricate complexities. 

If you were to ask me to provide one reason why I was an historian, and one reason why I'm a Christian, the only answer I can give you is to paraphrase Anthony Hopkins' line from Shadowlands: I do so because I cannot do otherwise. The need to know the world, and my Father flows from me. Believe me when I say that at various times I have tried to stem both. I often contemplate life without History in it, and I would by lying if I said that doubts and disobedience did not sit beside my faith. I cannot dam either ultimately. I do not think I would be happy without History being somewhere in my life, and I cannot imagine life without Christ being there. 

Just to let you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment